Mobile No. :+91 - 9425012683
 
 
 
ABOUT COLLEGE - Status Of College In 1957

PHYSIOLOGY

The Physiology Department was started in August, 1955. Space and equipment have been provided for practi­cal classes in Experimental Physiology, Biochemistry and Histology in the S. V. Polytechnic building. Dr. S. N Mathur, M. B., Ph. D., the retired Professor of Physiology, Medical College, Luc-know became the first Professor of Physiology of this College. His wide experience as a teacher and a research worker were helpful during the initial stages of development of this department. Dr. S. K. Bose Civil Surgeon, and Physician, Hamidia Hospital took the Bioche­mistry classes in the begining. In February, 1956 with the appointment of Mr. M. C. Varivar as Reader in Biochemistry, the development of this section was speeded up. Thus, by the end of the first academic year the department had the full compliment of the sanctioned staff.

There were 50 students to start with. In August 1957 the number of admissions were raised to 75. The first batch of students appeared for the University Examination in Physiology in April, 1957. Tn 1957-58 the number of admis­sions were raised to 100. To meet this increase in the number, with a little reorganisation, the difficulty of accom­modation has been partly met with. Efforts are being made to get more equipment and staff, In the near future the department is likely to be fully equipped to undertake all types of postgraduate teaching and research problems.

About 40 books on various topics are available in the departmental library and have been placed at the disposal of the staff.

PHARMACOLOGY

The department of Pharmacology was started in 1957. The department is located in the lower half of the Central block (old medical ward) in Hamidia Hospital.

The Drug museum contains illustrated teaching mate­rial including specimen of crude and synthetic drugs, their sources, chemical structures, derivatives, dosage forms and sites of action. The museum also depicts history of emerge­nce of Pharmacology and its branches i. e. pharmacy, phar­macognosy, pharmacodynamics & Biometry etc. through coloured pictures and charts. A section on indiginous drugs has also been provided. A detailed museum catalogue is under preparation.

The departmental library contains about hundred books current journals and periodicals. Abstract of current literature and index cards are available for ready reference Projection slides and other facilities of audio-visual aids are being procured. The department has already obtained an epidiascope and a number of projection slides have been prepared.

An experimental laboratory has been established for students and is fully equipped with electrical recording apparatus etc. for teaching purposes. The Pharmacy labo­ratory is also well equipped for teaching of 36 students at a time. Further extension of this laboratory is being planned.

A pharmaceutical laboratory for under taking analyti­cal and synthetic chemical research is being organized. A laboratory for students to study the pharmacodynamic effects of drugs on animal tissues and organs has been developed. This laboratory is equipped with 25 sets of apparatuses for the students. Equipment for mammalion experiments is being added.

A separate demonstration room has been provided. A preparation room has also been attached to the practical class room. An experimental research laboratory is in the process of development. Some research schemes on indiginous antidiabetic drugs have been undertaken, with a grant from the Indian Council of Medical Research. Department has also got a separate animal house, which is equipped with animal cages, trolleys, metabolic cages etc. for keeping expe­rimental animals like dogs, rabbits, guinea pigs, rats and mice. A frogery and an enclosure for breeding experimental animals has also been provided.

PATHOLOGY

With the establishment of the Department of Pathology in September, 1957, the Laboratory Services of the Hamidia Hospital and Sultania Zanana Hospital were reorganized. In order to meet the expanding needs of the various hospitals attached to Gandhi Medical College, the 1st floor of the Central Block of Hamidia Hospital (Old Medical Ward) has been reconditioned to accommodate the new department. The Pathology museum; practical class, demonstration room, bacteriology, biochemistry, serology and histopathology labo­ratories etc. as well as the administrative offices of the department are situated in this building.

The practical class room is a well equipped laboratory in which 50 stndents can be simultaneously given practical instructions. About 200 projection slides of common patho­logical conditions and an epidiascope are available for tea­ching work.

The newly established histopathology laboratory has attended to more than 700 tissues in the first year of its existence. The bacteriology laboratory is accommodated in a spacious room and has attached washing, media and sterli­zation rooms. Facilities for routine bacteriological exami­nations are now available. Stock cultures of all common bacteria are being maintained for teaching purposes. The serology and biochemistry laboratories are located in separate rooms and can now undertake most types of routine and specialized tests.The museum contains about 700 well displayed and properly classified specimens. A catalogue of specimens is also available to the students. More than 75 charts and about 40 models of certain skin diseases and parasites are present in the museum. In aielitirm to these about 100 unmounted specimens have been kept for under-graduate study.

Blood Transfusion service has been in existence in the Hamidia Hospital on a small scale since 1957. Since Septe­mber 1958 this service has been developed as a separate unit in the over all charge of a whole-time Blood Bank Officer. A donor's register has been prepared. Profesional and voluntary donors have been registered- All donors are pre­tested. International standards of selection of donors is adopted.

Aparc from professional and relation donors, jail convi­cts have also been registered with the help and co-operation of Jail authorities. Donors are paid Hs. 20 to 25 per dona­tion according to the amount of donation of blood. Present strength of donors is 258, and the total amount of blood collected and issued from the Blood Bank during the last 5 months (1-9-58 to 15-1-1959) is 53,680. cc.

The Clinical Pathology Laboratory is carrying out a very large number of routine investigation for all the hospitals attached to the Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal. An emer­gency laboratory service is also there to cater to the needs of the attached hospitals.

Every year about a dozen student's seminars are con­ducted on topics of public health importance. Full use is made of available specimens, charts and epidiascope in the lectures, practicals and demonstration classes. Curriculum has been prepared with a view to affect integration in the teaching programmes.

The department has in possession about 70 selected books in the departmental library.

Weekly journal reviews form a part of postgraduate activity of this department.

MEDICINE

The department of Medicine, Gandhi Medical College Bhopal came into existence in August, 1957 whan the first batch of medical students reached the IlIrd year M. B. B. S.

The department is located in the Hamidia Hospital, Bhopal, and comprises of administrative block, reception and registration rooms, the Out-Patient Department consisting of general medical, cardiology, skin and V. D., tuberculosis and paediatric out-doors and the inpatients section consis­ting of nine male, female & children wards with a total bed 'ien9.:tli of 242 beds. The wards are well equipped with the­rapeutic and diagnostic appliances. Clinical laboratories are attached to the wards. A Cardiology section, is being developed. Some of the modern diagnostic aids are already there. A departmental library has also been established. The library contains 100 books and a few journals and is open to the members of the staff and to the students.

A departmental museum has been set up for the use of the staff and the students The museum has 300 charts, dia­grams, specimens, and models illustrating history of medicine and various aspects of medical diseases The museum is in the process of further development,

A division of Experimental Medicine and Research has been started with the idea of promoting post graduate rese­arch. This unit is expected to be equipped soon with precision and other equipments.

Tn its under-graduate teaching programme the depart­ment is holding seminars and surprise examinations with emphasis on integrated teaching, with the use of audiovisual aids. These are combined with intensive bed-side teaching.

Facilities for bacteriological. histopathelogical, bioche­mipal, and radiological investigations have been made avai­lable for research work. Post graduate conferences and seminars are being held. The registration work has been introduced on the lines recommended by W.H.O.

SURGERY

The department before the opening of the College was located in the old Hamidia Hospital and consisted of one operation theatre and 5 wards and a Isolation ward. Total strength of the surgery be is was initially about 92. During 1953 this bed strength was raised to about 150 by providing extra beds. The department was under the charge of a sur­geon specialist.

On 6-3-1955, the then Central Health Minister, Raj­kumari Atnrit Kaur, laid the foundation stone of the new Surgical Block which was named Kamla Nehru Block. This block was complated on 15-9 1956, when it was duly declared open by Sht i Govind Ballabh Pant, Home Minister, Govern­ment of India.

On completion of the new block the old block was handed -ver to the Medical and Ophthalmic units and the department of Surgery shifted to the new building.

The new block consists of the following sections :-

  1. The Operation Theatre.
  2. The Recovery Room section.
  3. The wards.
  4. S. 0. P. D.

(a)    Operation Theatre—This section consists of two theatres with a central sterilizing room. Both theatres are provided with student galleries. Each has got a room for the senior surgeon. An Ortho-paedic section which consisting of a room for the orthopaedic surgeon, a plaster room and a radi-logy unit with developing room is attached to this unit. Rooms have been provided for the Anaesthetist, Lecturer in General Surgery and the Reg - strar in Surgery in this block.
There is a separate room for endoscopic exami-nations and a reception hall for the patients.

(b)    Recovery Wing—This consists of two rows of rooms where patients are being kept for 24 hours after major operation. One big room in between these houses, the clinical Laboratory. R. S. O's retiring room, ward Dispensary and the splint room are located nearby.

(c)    The Wards-- There are 8 Surgical Wards with a total strength of 244 beds out of which 92 are exclusively for females.

(d)    S.O.P.D. The out patient department is mainly run by medical officer incharge who is a senior R.S.O.

Separate provision for minor operations and dressings is provided. Dental and E. N. T. sections are separately run.An Experimental Section has been separately organised.

OBSTETRICS & GYNAECOLOGY

Sultania Zanana Hospital was established during the regime of the erstwhile State of Bhopal and now forms, the Obstetrics& Gynaecology Department of the Gandhi Medical College. The out-patient block houses, the Out-Patient Department, Dispensary, X-Ray room, Pathology Laboratory and Offices of the Superintendent. In the first floor of this building residential quarters have been provided for the staff.

Medical Stores, maternity wards, laboratory and private wards are situated in a separate building called the "Abida" Block. Lecture and demanstration rooms for the medieta students and also for the probation nurses have been provi­ded separately. The abortion ward and the ante natal ward are separately accommodated.

The Gynaecology section, its operation theatre, and the post-natal ward are situated in the first floor of the old block.

A proposal for the construction of an operation theatre and labour room behind the old Children's ward has been made. When ready, it will be a two storeyed building.About 100 books on Obst. and Gynaecology, and Family Planning. are available in the departmental library.

A Family Planning. Centre, under a centrally sponsored scheme has been started in this Hospital w. e. f. 1-11-1958. The training for auxiliary nurse-cum-midwives has been in existence at this hospital since 15-11-1954. There is a provision for training 30 candidates per year. The course extends over two years. The scheme is under development and planning.

Candidates taking training in general nursing at the .Hamidia Hospital, are posted to Sultania Zanana Hospital, for training in Gynaecology and Midwifery.

OPHTHALMOLOGY

The Ophthalmology Department of the Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal, as a teaching unit came into existence from September, 1957. Well qualified Ophthalmologists and some with wide reputation in the 'subject like the late Dr. Leber having been the Heads of this department, even though for short periods, during the previous years, the department provided adequate nucleus for starting the teaching of Ophthalmology to undergraduates even in its initial stages.

During the last 18 months, the department and its sub-sections have taken a concrete shape and at present the de­partment consists of two wards of a total strength of 38 beds, a well equipped operation theatre and a side laboratory in the ward. With the appointment of more staff and supply of equipment the department will, be in a position to develop research units and provide facility for postgraduate teaching in the near future.

One special feature of the development of the depart­ment during this period has been the introduction of a new system of  registration and indexing of eases on the lines recommended-by the W.H.O. for international exchange of data.

RADIOLOGY DEPARTMENT

The Radiology Department was established in Bhopal in 1927 as a part of the then Prince of Wales Hospital (Ha­midia Hospital since 1948). It is therefore one of the very old Radiology Department in Central India.

Now the Hamidia Hospital is associated with the Gandhi Medical College the teaching staff includes a Reader and a Lecturer in Radiology. To start with there was only one open-type of Diagnos­tic X-Ray unit which was replaced in 1951 by a modern Shock-Proof 100 mA . X-Ray Unit. From the very start a well equipped physiotherapy section has been functioning. A mobile and portable   ay Unit have also been added quite recently. A 500 mA diagnostic X-Ray unit of la­test model has been installed. This addition will provide fa­cilities for eardio-and-cerebro-angiographies etc. Since 1956, a 230 K. V. Deep X-Ray therapy unit is also functioning.

There is a rich departmental library containing hooks on Radio-diagnosis and Radiotherapy. In 1950 the number of patients X-Rayed was below 1500. By 1958 this number has gone beyond 7590 Besides these an equal number of flouroscopic examination were also done during 1958. Thus in the last 8-years the work load of the department has in­creased by more than five times.

Efforts are being made to add more equipment in the form of contact therapy and superficial therapy unit and Ra­dium in order to make the department self-sufficient in ra­diation therapy.With the construction of the new outdoor block the problem of shortage of accommodation is litely to be eased considerably.

DEPARTMENT OF ANATOMY

The department of Anatomy, like that of Physiology, was naturally the earliest to come up in the college, in August 1955 From very modest beginings the department of Anatomy has gradually risen to its present level, where post graduate teaching has also been started When the then Government of Bhopal State decided to start this Medical College, they were lucky to get Dr. R. P. Singh on deputation, from Madhya Bharat Government, as Professor of Anatomy and Aaditional Principal. Agra University, before giving provisional recognition to the institution, appointed a committee to inspect the college on the 4th July 55. Preparation for the starting of the college started in the right earnest on 21st June 55, with the advent of Dr. Singh on the scene and by the inspection date enough equipment and part of the Polytechnic building was obtained for starting the teaching.

An act had to be passed by the Govern­ment to enable the department to have unclaimed cadavers A big hall was modified and converted to a dissection hall and dissection tables were arranged.

A shed was rigged up as a Museum and ft large number of Specimens and models were arranged there- in, most having been prepared locally by the staff and others were imported. Dr. Singh's ingenuity and resourcefulness was in—exhaustible in this connection. By this time Dr. K. N. Bhargava had also joined the Department as Reader. He being as expert in preparing models and dissection specimens proved a great asset to the depart­ment. Three Demonstrators had also joined the department by the end of August 55, when full fledged teaching regimen was instituted with emphasis on personal attention on every student. A portable X—Ray machine with a viewing box was obtained from Hamidia Hospital for the teaching of Radiographic Anatomy. A large number of Skeletons and bones were also procured from different sources for Demon­stration purposes. The department during the first year of its life became the proud possessor of research equipment like Anthropometic instruments and a Microtome and Audio—visual aids like Movie projectors and Cameras. A large number of Medicromes and diascopic slides were also purchased. The museum was substantialley expanded by organising dissection competitions amongst the students.

In the next year Professor D. S. Chowdhary Ph. D. took over the chair of Anatomy. By this time the department had passed through its infancy and teaching had been well organised. A second batch of students joined the department and expansion of dissection hall was an imperative neces­sity, so an additional room was added to the dissection hall and marble top dissection table of large and small sizes were procured. Equipment for advanced type of work in Histology, consisting of 1ticrotomes, Incubator, Cons­tant tempara,tute hot plates, Steroscopic and research Microscopes was purchased. A chick Incubator was also obtained for research in Embryology. To meet the increasing demands of the department Dr. 0. P. Bhargava was promo­ted to Lecturetship. Two of the graduate. Demonstrators were allotted subjects for research and thus the department undertook a phase of activity which was undreamed of for so young a department With all this success the third session of the department started with great enthusiasm. The landmarks of progress made in this year were successful submission of thesis for M. S. examination by one of the demonstrators, addition of Audio-visual aid like Epidiascope with a number or attachments, Micro projector etc., creation of the post of Curator with consequent expansion of the Museum. Unfortunately the number of new admissions was increased as a result of which was pancity of space. The shed which was being used as museum was vacated to make an additional dissection hall and the museum had to be shifted to other rooms.

ANNUAL REPORT OF STUDENTS ASSOCIATION
SCIENTIFIC SOCIETY

The Students Scientific Society was formed in the year 1957-58 under the auspices of the Students Association, Gandhi Medical College, Bhopal.

The Scientific Society had the following office bearers:

  1. President                                Professor S. M. Misra.
  2. Treasurer                                Dr. (Mrs.) S. Sachdev.
  3. Vice President.                       Shri S. N. Kaul.
  4. Secretary                                Shri B. M. Das Dhoot.
  5. Joint Secretary                       Shri H. N. Singh.
  6. Girl's Representative               Kumari S. Saigal.
  7. Class Representatives             III Year Shri V.M. Bagley.
                                                    II Year Shri D.D. Shah.
                                                    I  Year Shri D.N. Chandra

The first meeting of the society was held on the 18th December, 1958 to decide the ways and means of developing and promoting :a scientic outlook amongst the students, which was the main objective of this body, and for this deb­ates, symposia, seminars, demonstration of cases and experi­ments, presentation of papers, essay competitions, scientific exhibitions and tours, film shows, and lectures by eminent scientists from our country and abroad were decided to be arranged.

The students scientific society presented a Co lege Anthem on the College Annual Day, which was very much appreciated. On the College Day, the following students won the various prizes under the auspices of the Students Scientific Society:-

1. Dissection Competion
(Year 56-57)
1st Prize Shri B. M. Das Dhoot 
2nd Prize Kum. Tejwant Kaur
2. Dissection Competion
(Year 57-58)
1st Prize Shri G. M. Das Lal, Gopal Prasad
2nd Prize Ku. S. Saigal, Ku. S. Jaakota
3. Debate Competition 1st Prize Shri V.M. Bagley
2nd Prize Shri S. N. Kaul
3rd Prize Shri Bahoobal Kumar
4th Prize Shri M. M. Gupta
4. Essay Competition 1st Prize Shri V. M. Bagley
2nd Prize Shri K. D. Bhargava
3rd Prize S. D. Vijay
5. Best contributions to Medical Exhibits​ 1st Prize Shri V. M. Bagley
2nd Prize G. P. Saxsena
3rd Prize K. N. Sharma
6. College crest for all round activities of the Scientific Society 1st Prize Shri V. M. Bagley
7. Best worker Scientific Society 1st Prize Shri B. M. Das Dhoot
2nd Prize Shri V. M. Bagley

3rd Prize Shri Shankerlal

We are extremely grateful to Professor S. M. Misra for his most valuable help and guidance in all the activities of the society, during the year under review.

We are also thankful to all the members of the staff who have taken a keen interest in the activities of this society.

Our thanks are also due to all the members of this society whose untiring efforts and co-operation proved of immense value.

STUDENTS AID SOCIETY

The Students Aid Society came into existence on 13th Dec. 57 as one of the important units of the Students Association of the Gandhi Medical College Bhopal. It is an elected body established for giving help to the needy students of this college, by collecting funds from various sources.

The following were elected to constitute the first Exe­cutive body of the Society.

President—Prof. S. S. Gupta
Treasurer— Dr. Arvind Ghooi
Vice President—Shri K. N. Sharma
Secretary— Shri N. C. Chatutvedi
Joint Secretary—Shri  S. C. Agrawal
Girls Representative—Ku. S. K. Chauba I Year (Nominated)
                                   Shri V. P Agrawala II Year
                                   Shri G, P. Saxsena III Year

The first meeting of the society was held on 21st December, 1957 with Prof. 5, S. Gupta in the chair. In the meeting the members chalked out a comprehensive plan to be caned out during the entire session. The first problem which was faced by the society was the collection of sufficient funds to achieve its objectives An appeal was issued for donations, and a generous response was immediately given by many well wisher of the society, particularly the staff members who encouraged the society through valuable donation. We are very grateful to Prof. D. S. Chowdhary, who contributed an amount of Rs. 283/–, sufficient to meet the tuition and hostel fee of one candidate for one year. During the sports meet of the college the society orga­ised a Canteen. The girl students helped this venture by preparing many dclicious dishes. This canteen was a great success, and financially benifited the society.

We are grateful to Smt. S. S. Gupta, Smt, M. C. Vari­yar and Smt. S. K. Vashistba for extending their whole­hearted co-operation in providing to the stall tasty and attractive dishes.

Students Aid Society also arranged a charity show in which teams of boys and girls launched a weeks programme of selling tickets for the society. A book prize for maximum collection of funds was also announced to encourage the students.

On the college day prizes and certificates were awarded. The colour for the Student Aid Association for the year 57-58 was awarded to Shri Shanker lal for his alround activity. Book prizes were awarded to the following.

  1. Shri S. D. Vijay (Best boy worker)
  2. Ku. Firoza Ghani (Best girl worker)
  3. Shri Shankar lal for Maximum collection

We are in deed very grateful to Prof. S. S. Gupta, whose Chairmanship of the society was a source of inspiration to us. We are also very grateful to Dr. A. Glaooi for his constant help and guidance.

FINE ARTS SOCIETY

The wheel of time is moving fast and with it our college is making a fast progress. This year our college was a seat of great activity under the auspicies of the various societies and out society too did not lack behind. The Fine Art Society came into existence in 1957. We had a momentous task ahead and had to race with time, since the society was formed very late.

A Fancy Dress Show was the maiden effort of this society that we presented on the eve of our colourful College Day. Mis PrenaLata. Thandani in the make-up of a ward-boy caught everybody's fancy amongst the gay and cheerful gathering that included our distinguished guest, Honourable Rani Padmavati Devi, Health Minister, Honourable Shree M. P. Dube, Deputy Minister for Health, members of the staff and the students.

The annual variety-show was presented on two consequitive clays. Collection of about Rs. 800/ was made by selling of tickets for this show and entire money was donated to the Students Aid Society.

One of the highlights of this variety show was "ANJO DIDI" a play in Hindi, written by Upendra Nath Ashk and ably directed by Dr. K. N. Bhargava who also prep arted the script of this play. The play was presented with great skill and verve by all the artists and left the audience roaring with laughter at every step. Kumari C. K. Kochar (Anjo Didi) as the domi­nating house-wife, Shree D. P. Shrivastava (Judge Saheb) as Anjo's henpecked husband Shree S. D. IVIisra (Shreepath) as Anjo's brother and Kumari Sheel Bala Kanhowa, deserve special mention. Their acting was widely appreciated and repeatedly cheered by the audience. They were ably supported by Kumari Koteshwari Naidu, Kumari Kusum Shrivastava, and Shree G. V. Saxsena, Bahoobal Kumar and Nemi Chandra Diwakar.

Then followed another very interesting item of the programme, tableau titled 'LIFE AND DEATH' also written and directed by Dr. K. N. Bhargava. This item consisted of several engrossing scenes depicting some 'events of life' and was presented by Miss Kochar and Miss Savitri Karnani.

The next important item was the Shadow play titled 'HISTOR.Y OF ANAESTHESIA' directed by Dr. B. B. Bharadwaj. It was really a grand success and provided good humour. Great skill was shown in the creation of shadows and the technique was amazing.

Projections for the variety show were prepared by Mr. Vinod Saksena who worked hard in collaboration with Mr. V. M. Bagley and Mr. P. K. Joshi, our college artist and we are very thankful to them.

For the grand success of this variety show, we are highly thankful to Dr. K. N. Bhargava, our President Dr Sanyal and Mr. Subtamanyam for their untiring help and guidance. We take this opportunity to thank Dr. A jay Shanker, other members of the executive and all the members of the staff and the students of this college but for whose efforts and cooperation this seemingly difficult task woul d have been barely possible.

 
VIDEOS