Mobile No. :+91 - 9425012683
 
 
 
ABOUT COLLEGE - Status Of College In 1957 and Today
In 1957 Today

Gandhi Medical College


Gandhi Medical College was established in August, 1955. Hamidia and Sultania Zanana Hospitals are attached to this institution and a Tuberculosis Hospital is also available. In all a thousand beds exist for the clinical training of the students.

ORIGIN AND GROWTH
On 1st June, 1949, the administration of the princely State of Bhopal was taken over by the Government of India. In 1952, soon after the "Part 'C' States Act" was passed, a popular Ministry headed by Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma was formed. With the expansion of Medical facilities in the State, the paucity of doctors to take up appointments in the rural areas was keenly felt by the Government, The idea to establish a Medical College at Bhopal was conceived in 1954. Raj Kumari Amrit Kaur, the then Union Minister for Health, was approached and she evinced keen interest in the scheme. in the same year Dr. R.Viswanathan, Deputy Director General of Health Services, and Shri Shashtri, Architect of the Ministry of Health, Government of India, visited Bhopal and inspected all the available buildings and hospitals. They  approved the Poly-technic building for starting the College.

The College was inaugurated on 13th August, 1955 by Shri Lai Bahadur Shashtri, Union Minister for Railways at that time. The Institution was originally affiliated to the Agra University and started with 50 admissions. in 1956 the number of annual admissions was raised to 75 and from 1957 onwards 100 students are being admitted. The College is now affiliated to the Vikram Univeristy, Ujjain.

The adminstrative offices are located inside the Fort building near Haniidia Hospital. The Departments of Anatomy and Physiology are at present in the Polytechnic Buil-ding. The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is located in the Sultania Zanana Hospital. The remaining departments have been established in the Hamidia Hospital. 

HAMIDIA HOSPITAL
Prior to 1927, it was a small Hospital with 25 beds and was located in a building which now houses the city Kotwali .During the next 22 years the bed strength of this Hospital was gradually incresed. It was shifted to its present venue the same period. Thus in 1949, prior to the merger of the Bhopal State, the Hamidia Hospital had 175 beds. The year 1953 saw further extension in the Hamidia Hospital, when the present building inside the Fort Fatehgath was occupied. In 1956 a new three storeyed Surgical Wing with two modern operation theatres and a new three storeyed Medical Ward were added. Since the construction of these new Hospitals the bed strength has now been raised to 525.

SULTANIA ZANANA HOSPITAL
Sultania Zanana Hospital was also established during the former princely State of Bhopal. Previously it was a general hospital for women and children. Since the establishment of Gandhi Medical College, it is now the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. The building consists of an Out—Patient Block, which includes X-Ray room and Pathology Laboratory etc. Four separate buildings from the indoor section comprising of 207 adult beds 100 cradles, a set of private wards and a Nurses' Hostel. Teach—ing facilities for 30 Auxiliary Nurs2s-cum Midwives have been in existence since some years.

TUBERCULOSIS HOSPITAL
situated on a plot of about 85 Acres of land, this newly constructed Hospital was inaugurated by our Prime Minister Shri Jawaharlal Nehru, on 1st June; 1954. The hospital started with a bed strength of 55. More general wards and 11 cottages have since been added.

The total cost of construction and equipment of this Hospital has come to about rupees sixteen lacs. The Central Railways have recently constructed a ward, the bed strength has increased to 306. This hospital is well equipped and has modern facilities including an air-conditioned operation theatre, 200 M. A. X—Ray plant, electric kitchen and headphone facilities for patients recreation.

B. S. Examination’s students of the College topped the list of the successful candidates in the Vikram University.

NEW COLLEGE BUILDING
A sum of Rupees Eighty lacs has been provided for the construction of the new College building, Hostels and staff quarters as well as for the equipment. It is expected that the main College building, to be built at an estimated cost of Rs 32 lacs, shall be completed by the next year. Two Boys' and one Girls' Hostels have already been constructed for accommodating 280 students.

Gandhi Medical College

Gandhi Medical College one of the oldest medical colleges of Madhya Pradesh was established in 1954 and formally inaugurated by Late Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri on 13th of August 1955. The college started its functioning in the present Polytechnic building with a first batch of 50 students and 2 Departments Anatomy & Physiology. It was on 15th of September 1956 when the then Union Minister of Home Shri Govind Ballabh Pant laid the foundation of its existing building. It took almost seven years to complete the massive job to construct the present building which is a stunning piece of architecture and craftsmanship. The building was inaugurated by the first Prime Minister of India Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru on 13 March 1963.

The college is located adjacent to the Upper Lake in Fatehgarh area on Sultania Road where once stood the Fatehgarh Fort. In front of its campus is the largest mosque of Asia, the Tajul Masjid with its Motia Talab.

The five storied building with four wings houses the departments of Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, Microbiology, Forensic Medicine, Preventive & Social Medicine, Medico Legal Institute, four Lecture Theaters, Conference hall, Library, Central Store, Girl’s Common room, Examination halls and the Office of Alumni. The library is equipped with facility of computers and elibrary. The increasing strength of staff and functioning of each department has enhanced the space requirements of all the departments. To meet the enhanced demand one more floor has been added to existing structure.

The college is recognized by the Medical Council of India for MBBS courses, Post Graduate Courses MS/MD in all the subjects and also M.Ch. degree in Pediatrics Surgery. From the year 2013 the intake capacity in MBBS course has been increased from 140 to 150 students.

Attached to the college building is a 1000 seated auditorium which has been regular venue of several National and International scientific meets, cultural events and public functions.

The college has two associated hospitals, Hamidia Hospital with bed strength of 750 beds and Sultania Hospital with 250 beds. Within the campus a 6 storied building was build in the year 1993 for the Gas Rahat department, the building also houses the department of Paediatric Medicine, Paediatric Surgery, Plastic & Burn Surgery, Radiodiagnosis and Radiotherapy.

The college campus also houses the Hamidia Hospital, Kamla Nehru Hospital, Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, ICMR Institute NIREH, Rain Basera for patients and their relatives to stay, two canteens one old JDA canteen and a newly constructed canteen and Blood Bank.

The college has  nine hostels, designated as A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H Blocks of which Block A,D,G,H are girls hostel and Block B,C,E,F are boys hostels. The college has a Sports ground with Lawn Tennis court, Badminton court, Basketball court and a Gymnasium.

The college has two guest houses, one which was built in the year 1991 which has been recently renovated with 8 AC double bedded rooms. The old heritage building, earlier known as Boat Club has been furnished as the second guest house.

 
VIDEOS